Casa Navarro State Historic Site
Fisher Heck worked closely with the Texas Historical Commission to ensure that the preservation treatment of José Antonio Navarro's 1850's home and the addition of a new restroom facilities building would be in keeping with national preservation guidelines. New restroom and storage facilities were carefully integrated into the historic grounds. As a result of the re-organization of the site, a larger central courtyard was formed and the relationship between new and existing buildings was enhanced. Today, the Casa Navarro State Historic Site proudly educates visitors on José Antonio Navarro's life and role in Texas history.
Church Of The Good Shepherd
As with most of Fisher Heck's religious projects that involve a new facility, a comprehensive master plan must be in place to provide a clear vision for the growth of a church. Good Shepherd's existing master plan was re-evaluated to kick-off a capital campaign focused on raising money for a new Administration Building, Worship Hall and to renovate their existing Parish Hall. This new church is phase two of the master plan and is currently going through fundraising.
Landmark Inn State Historic Site
Owned and operated by the The Texas Historical Commission (THC), the Landmark Inn State Historic Site project is the culmination of a 2-year restoration effort that returns the historical hotel to its former glory within the culture rich city of Castroville, Texas. After many years of wear and tear, the multi-building complex was in need of a full restoration effort, which also included designing new accessibility access points to all buildings on site, installing new energy efficient mechanical systems and restoring many of the building's deteriorated windows and doors, as well as exterior and interior plaster. Nearly every inch of every building on site was respectfully touched in some way, all while adhering to the Secretary of Interior Standards. Visitors can now once again stay at the historic Inn and enjoy the scenic grounds of this important place for many more years to come.
St Francis of Assisi Catholic Church
This brand new worship facility represents one of our largest religious projects to date, designed to evoke a sense of awe and grandeur for visitors coupled with the spirituality of the church's Patron. Using a blend of smooth cut limestone and dark, rich stained wood, as well as incorporating design elements from the original church and basilica in Assisi, Italy, this 1,500 seat church and adjacent 300 seat chapel co-exist in harmony and are linked together by a beautifully landscaped plaza.
Karnes County Courthouse Restoration
Karnes City, Texas
Phase 1 of Karnes County's Master Plan for the restoration of their 1894 courthouse involved the removal of two 1920's additions to the building and restoring the west facade to its 1890's roots, which Fisher Heck completed in 2010. Phase 2 included the stabilization of the foundation and roof repairs. The third and final phase of the project will involve completing the restoration of the remaining facades as well as the entire interior of the building back to it's original condition as much as possible. This stone, Romanesque-Revival courthouse was originally designed by John Cormack, who beat out famed Texas architects Alfred Giles and James Riely Gordon for the commission, but sadly died before construction completed.
UTSA Football Locker Room
San Antonio, TX
This new football locker room serves as the UTSA Roadrunners practice locker room, located on the main campus of UT San Antonio. It consists of a large open space for lockers with more secluded adjacent spaces for showers, restrooms, and lounge space for the student athletes. The space previously consisted of PE men's and women's locker rooms within the PE Building. By removing the separating partition between the two locker rooms and exposing the concrete structure above, a large enough space was created that meets all of the programatic requirements. All the finishes in the space were selected based on school colors, highlighted by a dominant orange furr-down running the length of the space that not only helps conceal equipment, but also aids in creating some of the more secluded spaces.
Bexar County Commissioners Courtroom
San Antonio, TX
What was once two separate courtrooms with adjacent support offices and an intermediate floor separating the two, is now a grand two-story Commissioners Courtroom, restored to its original 1896 creation. In addition to the courtroom restoration, a new stairwell spanning five floors within the courthouse was designed to bring the building up to code. One of the challenging requirements to this courtroom is that it had to serve multiple uses in order to make the room more accommodating throughout the year. This courtroom primarily serves as the Commissioner's Courtroom, but can also accommodate high-profile trials as well as private social events and banquets. To facilitate this, the Judge's Bench floors are designed to be operable and can be electronically raised and lowered depending on the event. Due to a lack of plenum space and exterior perimeter walls, an energy efficient variable refrigerant flow system was designed into the balcony structure and provides the entire room's heating and cooling needs.
St Monica Catholic Church
What was once a dark and uninviting sanctuary is now a light and airy worship space that honors the memories of the building before it. We worked colaboratively with the church on a full interior renovation of their existing facility overhauling the entire building's interior design to fit a more contemporary aesthetic. Existing mechanical and electrical systems were overhauled in favor of more energy efficient systems and the acoustics in the room were greatly improved thanks to strategically designed acoustic wall and ceiling treatments. In keeping with the intended light & airy feel of the room, the central skylight over the altar was restored to bring light through an existing circular stained glass window and become one of main focal points of the space once again.
Chisholm Trail Heritage Museum
The restoration of the Knights of Pythias building is the centerpiece of Cuero’s downtown revival. Working with local preservationist developer, Robert Oliver, Fisher Heck assisted with documenting the existing building and preparing a plan for restoring the exterior as well as some of the interior spaces. It was ultimately determined that a new two-story annex had to be added to the building in order to house a new gift shop, offices, catering kitchen and restrooms. These spaces would in turn support a large museum gallery space on the first floor of the original building with community meeting rooms above. The museum's mission since being established in 2000, is ‘to preserve the ranching and western heritage of South Central Texas through interpretative exhibits, research, and educational programs’.
St Anthony Claret Catholic Church
San Antonio, TX
Built on the highest point in Bexar County, the parishioners of this iconic church commonly call this “the church in the clouds”. The design of this 1,000 seat worship facility takes in the beautiful Hill Country views through large northern windows out the Nave, flooding the interior with daylight. The dramatic stepped profile of the façade eliminates direct sunlight from entering the worship space while careful consideration was made to insure that no cars or buildings would be visible while seated in the Nave - only the Hill Country and beautiful sunsets. This project remains to this day, one of our favorites.
Salado Outdoor Classroom Pavilion
As the first building to be built in the 311-acre Phil Hardberger Park, the pavilion had to be symbolic of the regional environment and display sustainable building practices. The lightly suspended roof covers an outdoor classroom, park offices and public restrooms, while also providing electricity for the facility with the help of solar photovoltaic panels. The classroom and trailhead serve as a place to learn about ecology and urban agriculture and sustainable technologies, such as the large rainwater cisterns used to store rainwater for irrigation. The pavilion and trailhead connect the park to the Salado Creek Greenway and the larger greenway system of San Antonio.
We are a San Antonio architecture firm, dedicated to designing projects that strengthen and benefit community. We offer a unique combination of traditional sensibilities, innovation, and integrated project management to a variety of clientele. Our office ranks as one of San Antonio's leading architecture firms for religious and historical projects.
Since our establishment in 1982, we have undertaken commissions in the fields of Religious architecture, Cultural preservation, Municipal institutions, Adaptive Reuse, Educational architecture, as well as Commercial and Residential design.